Believe in love at first sight?
See, I met this girl. Exactly 29 years ago tomorrow.
The first time I held her in my arms, I was nearly speechless.
All I could manage… was to ask, “How are you?”
If she could’ve answered me, instead of screaming her brand new lungs out, she would’ve said,
“Mom. Stop. I am fine.”
She was fine, she was just fine.
She is still fine.
She is 29 years old. To me, she is still brand new.
To me, Allie is still
- A toddler who always got her way (my new-mom mistake)!
- The 6 yr old who stole a Hershey bar from Rite Aid (where her dad worked)
- A vain 8yr old who decided to change her eye color with a Crayola crayon -Ouch!
- The mouthy pre-teen who spent more time grounded than she did free
- A high school senior who continually threatened to quit the family
- An independent college graduate planning the future
Fast forward to the now:
She’s building a life in NYC with her fiancee, putting last minute details on the wedding day, eating chocolate bars she can pay for and sharing it all with a nice young man who still gets to hear those lungs get a workout.
She tells me life will be just fine.
Allie has always been just fine.